Coconut has been one of the most commonly used ingredients in our home. As children, we used to have coconut with vellam / panangaruppatti (gud) or simply with salt and red chilli powder as our evening snacks. Since we have coconut trees in our farm itself, we, siblings had our choice of coconut (from which tree it should come). Now of course,living in the opposite end of the country, we are more than happy as long as we get one!
So, coconut was my obvious choice for this month BM as my childhood memories came alive with it. Coconut rice is not only my all time favourite but many of my friends love it as well. They often used to tell me to make this for them. Now for the recipe of this simple and easy to make dish.
- Grated coconut - 1 cup or 1/2 coconut
- Cooked and cooled rice - 2 cups
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chana dal - 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal (white) -1/2 teaspoon
- Red chillies -3 or 4 nos
- Chopped onion - 1 medium
- Curry leaves - A few
- Salt - To taste
- Heat a pan with oil. Add the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard splutters, add jeera, red chillies, chana dal and urad dal.
- When the dals turn golden brown, add onion and curry leaves. Fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the grated coconut and fry for a minute add salt and the rice. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and serve.
* You can use left over rice.
* Do not fry the coconut too much, else the oil will come out.
* Onion is optional
* Increase or decrease seasoning according to your taste
It is a simple yet delicious dish. Sure you will try it and enjoy this as much as I enjoyed putting this up for the Blogging Marathon. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#62.