Third in the rice series is lemon rice. This is one of the most popular one amongst the variety of rice dishes I frequently make for my friends. An easy and quick to prepare and convenient to carry. A very refreshing and tasty lunch box dish. This dish always finds a place in valai kappu (baby shower) functions. Those who have not tried this must give it a try.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
FOR SEASONING :
- Oil - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - A few
- Chana dal = 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad (white)- 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 3 nos
- Onion finely chopped - 1
- Cook rice the usual way and let it cool. Leftover rice can be used.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, add salt and turmeric powder and mix them.
- Sprinkle the juice over the cold rice and mix gently taking care not to break the rice.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds,chana urad dal and fry till the dal becomes golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves, onion and green chillies. Saute them till the onion is translucent. Lastly, add the rice adjust salt and toss around slowly keeping the flame low.
- Remove, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve with papad.