There are so many dishes to cook with rice. It was very difficult to choose only three of them. My first one in this series is ven pongal as I made this when my father had come to my place. This is one of his favourite dishes.
This is a very popular and simple dish which can be made in a jiffy. It neither requires many ingredients nor needs much time. It tastes great with coconut chutney. Now for the recipe.
- Rice- 1/2 cup
- Moong dal (yellow)- 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts &Raisins- 8 each
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Ghee- 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Ginger chopped- 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Whole black pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- A few
- Dry roast moong dal and rice separately until it is hot to touch. Do not over fry it.
- Heat oil and ghee add finely chopped ginger, saute for 2-3 seconds, then add pepper, jeera seeds (you can pound pepper and jeera slightly for more flavor), cashew nuts,raisins and curry leaves.
- Add rice and dal with 3 cups of water and salt. Cook it for 3 or 4 whistles.
- Let the steam go off and then open the cooker. Mix the contents nicely.
- Serve hot with white coconut.
- PS: One can cook the rice and dal separately and the seasoning to it.